Thursday, November 12, 2015

Plantar Wart treatment - lessons learned

Go to a podiatrist and have them use Cantharidin (Cantharone/Beetle Juice). 

1. I first tried using over the counter Compound-W.  I used this several times but it didn't do much other then remove skin and make the whole area look messy. 
Money spent (wasted):  $13
Time spent:  2-3 weeks


2.  Next I tried the Compound-W home freeze kit and acid.  This hurt a little when I did the freezing but I don't think the home freeze kit was able to get the freeze deep enough.  Also, the size of my plantar wart was much bigger then the small freeze application tip.  I tried this many times anyway and it did not work. 
Money spent (wasted):  $25

3. 
Went to my general practitioner (MD) and had him freeze it with his product.  This was done every 2 weeks for a total of 5 visits.  It hurt, blister would form days later and eventually fall off.  Wart still there each time. 
Money spent:  $30 copay/office visit times 5 visits = $150
Time spent:  5 times sitting in Dr. Office with two weeks between visits = 10 weeks. 

4. 
Doctor suggested I see a podiatrist and have him cut it out.  Went to podiatrist and he applied Cantharidin (Beetle Juice / Blister Beetle).  This hurt the most but was effective and ultimately appears to have worked.  Money spent:  $45 copay.   Done!  Also important - time saved.  I hope this helps someone else out there.  I wish I would have gone to a podiatrist and had the cantharidin done the first time.  That would have saved me a lot of time over going to store buying compound-w and trying that for a few weeks.  Going back to store and trying home freeze kit and trying that for a few weeks.  Going to doctor 5 times, copays and all the scheduling and pain from the freezes. 

Here is my follow up at 3 weeks - before and after photos

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much! I'm going through the beetle juice pain now. At least your dr explained what would happen next. Mine did not and its ruining a 3 day weekend where I had a lot of active plans! Glad it worked :D Hopefully the bugger stays away.

    ReplyDelete