Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My plantar wart treatment experience 2 - Cantharidin (Blister Beetle)

My plantar wart treatment experience 2 - Cantharidin (Blister Beetle) at the podiatrist office

     I went to the podiatrist office unsure of what the doctor might want to do.  Part of me hoped he would numb it up right there in the office and cut that wart out.  He wanted to try Cantharidin (Blister Beetle) treatment first.  Unlike the general practitioner, the podiatrist trimmed down the wart the first visit.  He trimmed much more then my previous doctor did.  It bleed and hurt a little by the time he was done cutting it down and then he put on the Cantharidin.  It did not hurt going on just as he said and he told me that after about 3 hours it would hurt more then the freezing treatment.  He was right.  My foot hurt and throbbed later that afternoon and all night while sleeping.  He also told me that I should have ibuprofen ready for bed time and he was right.  The ibuprofen did help some with the pain and throbbing that first night.  It was also much more sore the following 3 days then the freezing treatment ever was.  The podiatrist told me that the way it works is that the Cantharidin makes the skin blister and lift the wart up out of the skin layers.  I have taken pictures each night along the way and I hope that this works. 

First night (8 hours after he trimmed it down and applied the Cantharidin) picture:

Here is a day 3 picture: 


Here is a day 6 picture:


Day 8 - follow up visit to podiatrist to have him trim away the blister and check the progress.
Once back in the treatment room, the doctor asked how the week was from the treatment in terms of pain and also removes the bandage and gives it a good look.  He then pulls out cutting tools and trims off the skin/blister.  It hurt a little but not too bad and it also bled a lot.  Next, he had to spend a minute applying pressure which did not stop the bleeding completely but it did slow it down.  Overall, he seemed hurried to want to get the 2nd round of cantharidin painted on and get to his next patient.  Here is the picture right after he trimmed the blister/skin off before applying the second round of cantharadin: 

He did say that it appeared that the canthardin/cantharone worked well and he estimated that about 80 percent of the wart was gone.

Here we are at Round 2 - treating the last bit of the wart with a 2nd round of Cantharadin/Cantharone.  I was curious about the treatment so I took a picture of the bottle he used for the Cantharadin that was left on the table next to me. 

I was surprised to see that it was only 1% Cantharidin. 

Round 2: 
First night (8 hours after the 2nd treatment of Cantharidin: 



Day 3 picture feeling optimistic: 


Day 6 picture feeling better: 




Finally day 8 has arrived and it's time to go to the podiatrist to find out the result.  I go in to this office 1 week after the 2nd treatment.  He gets out the razor trimming tool again and cuts of the top part of the dead/healing skin.  Success!  He feels that the wart appears to be gone!  He states that the skin appears pink and healing but the only way to know for sure is to wait a few weeks to see if it heals over or if a wart forms back.  He tells me that he doesn't think it will come back from the way it currently looks.  I sure hope so. 

Day 8 picture after he cleaned it up with the razor:


Here's what I learned from this experience - next part

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Can you remember if on day 2 or 3; if you could have gone for a run? and on day 6?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On day 2 or 3 no. It was still a bit painful and my Dr. had advised me to take it easy in terms of putting pressure on it. On day 6 maybe but I wouldn't due to previous advice from Dr. about taking it easy. Ask your Dr. if you have this done - they might have different instructions for you depending on your situation.

      Delete
  2. I have been getting a treatment of this as well. I did 2 treatments. I had 2 massive warts in between my toes. Its healed up really nicely after it. But im noticing that one of my toes has rough skin on it. So im not sure if its totally gone on that toe. Did you get rough skin ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while for my skin to smooth out but if you are concerned - I'd go let the Dr. take another look just in case. Glad it's working for you!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! My doctor gave me this to put on myself, but thanks to your thorough post i applied the second treatment after i cut out the first big blister. This has been a long battle, but i am hopeful it is gone for good! Thanks for the thorough pictures!!

    ReplyDelete